Free Form

"Concentrated power is not rendered harmless by the good intentions of those who create it." --Milton Friedman, R.I.P., 1912-2006

Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Will Rogers the Libertarian?

As a native Oklahoman, I grew up hearing about the legend known as Will Rogers. He was a great satirist and his skeptical view of the government always showed, there is a whole book representing his jokes and satire against prohibition of alcohol. Here are some of his most famous quotes taken from the The Official Site of Will Rogers:

"There ought to be one day-just one-when there is open season on senators."

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts."

"I don't care how poor and inefficient a little country is; they like to run their own business. I know men that would make my wife a better husband than I am, but, darn it, I'm not going to give her to 'em." [TT: Great foreign policy statement]

"The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf has."

"If we ever pass out as a great nation we ought to put on our tombstone, 'America died from a delusion that she has moral leadership." [TT: Could this ever be more true than today?]

"Elections are a good deal like marriages. There's no accounting for anyone's taste. Every time we see a bridegroom we wonder why she ever picked him, and it's the same with public officials."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will Rogers was much more a government cynic than a skeptic as cynicism is about negative and contrary attitudes while skepticism is about witholding judgment on issues until enough evidence is available to make good (yet still provisional) judgments.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home